Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Good Samaritan Story


Recently, my grandfather--who fought cancer for years--passed away. That day, I got a call from my mom who left for the Philippines to stay by his side, along with her brothers and sisters, and I could hear how shattered her voice sounded; I knew it couldn't have been good news, which meant something must have happened. After straightforwardly telling me what had happened, we said our goodbyes and ended our call. I was in pure shock and disbelief because just the other day, my cousin sent me a picture of him smiling on his hospital bed. I felt overwhelmed and devastated. I tried to pretend like nothing was wrong after I found out, but a friend of mine noticed. She asked me what was wrong, and unknowingly, I ended up in tears. She held me tightly and let me cry on her shoulder to allow the despaired feelings to disappear. After doing so, I explained to her what happened, and slightly surprisingly, she could relate. She comforted me with words her mother once told her, saying that at least his suffering is gone and that he is currently watching over me. Honestly, her words did not touch me to the point of ultimately feeling better, but I can definitely profess that her comforting, compassionate ways cheered me up a bit. At the time, no one noticed the happy facade I put on, but she did. She was the one who asked what was wrong and cheered me up in the process. This friend of mine is surely someone I can undoubtedly call a Good Samaritan, and I'm glad to have her around.

-Arlynn Adamos Period 4

No comments:

Post a Comment