Monday, September 12, 2011

Thursday night blackout

When the blackout happened, I was in San Ysidro, I had just gotten out of McDonalds and I was in one of those parking lots where you have to pay & to get out the person at the stand lifts up the yellow stick. Of course, we got stuck inside of the parking lot, and my dad being the critical man he is he started to yell at the lady thinking that it was her fault that the stick wouldn't go up. We saw that there was an opening on the other side & were able to get out through there. Afterwards we noticed that through out the streets & the freeway that no lights worked, once we turned on the radio and heard what had happened everything made sense. When we got home I was actually pretty excited, I went out on my longboard with my camera & took video of the community, of what people were up to and the different ways we reacted to this blackout, my battery died and so I decided to go out to the park & read a book, I was there until the sun went down, then walked home. This experience allowed me to see that in the society nowadays depends way too much on electricity. I say this because everyone was pretty much confused and didn't know what to do. A lot of my neighbors just went to sleep early, some just sat outside in the dark. As for me, I didn't know what to do, I couldn't cook anything, and I couldn't text, I couldn't go on the internet, I couldn't watch the TV, I felt like I failed because I couldn't entertain myself without the help of electronics, my light was a candle and that didn't help much.
-Raquel Farfan

No comments:

Post a Comment