Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Blackout~

On September 8, 2011, there was a black out that had occured roughly around 3:30 p.m. I had only realized we had a blackout, until after I had a game with the Eastlake girls. On the way home I see people rushing in for stores at around 5:30, looking for water and coolers, since the heat was relentless. My family and I were I guess prepared for situations such as this. We had flashlights, batteries, and some candles all over the house, to make sure we had some light to navigate. And just in case we had a radio just to be sure what is occuring outside. Normally on an average day, teens, including myself, would just waste the days filled with technology, but this blackout was able to bring neighbors and family much closer than before. Stargazing also was another thing that we often overlook, since we hardly appreciate nature at its best at the time.
But looking at the panic that had happened around my neighborhood, made the fact that humans are now naturally dependent on electricty. And having that dependency, can make the U.S vunerable for hours or maybe days. It was good that the power had came on in the early hours of Friday, and it gave everyone including myself some relief that electricity was back. But now we have to be a bit more wary for the next time we have a black out.
-Jan-Marini Pacleb

No comments:

Post a Comment