Monday, September 12, 2011

The Blackout

This picture pretty much represents how I tried to entertain myself throughout the night of the blackout.
          The blackout that occurred last Thursday happened when I was at cheer practice. When being informed at five in the evening, the first thought in my head was, "I need to shower before it gets dark!", since I've learned from past experience that showering by candlelight is not exactly the easiest or safest thing to do. So immediately, I took a shower when I first got home, then my family and I had to scramble around the house for all of the candles and battery powered lights we owned. It was silly that we were so panicked by something so minor like this power outtage, but we know that it was better to be prepared than to sit around in the dark, eating food we could not see. My family sat around the table, eating everything we had in the fridge, and enjoyed some very random conversations. Then, my brother began to play the ukelele, and we sang songs for about an hour. But eventually my brothers and I ran out of things to do and we were just trying to entertain ourselves for the remainder of the night. Overall, I was actually pretty glad we were given this opportunity to bond, and instead of seeing this situation like a night without t.v., we saw it as a night to spend time with family.
         As for the dependency on electricity, it is sad to see that people without power cannot even function well. People were so worried about their phones or iPods dying, and didn't even take advantage of the golden opportunity for family time that was given to them. It made people freak out about simple stuff that isn't neccessary for survival, and it makes me wonder how some of these people would act in a very dangerous situation, or how they would be stranded on an island. I think that the more and more we depend on things like electricity, the more we disable ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment