Thursday, September 15, 2011

San Diego Blackout


On September 8, 2011, a massive blackout turned off the lights on all of San Diego County. I was at Decathlon practice when the power first went out. We knew there was no electricity because both the lights and air conditioner shut off suddenly. After I got home at around 5, I started preparing flashlights and candles. We were lucky that we had just gone camping, so we had plenty of lights and batteries. My family just sat in the patio, listening to the radio, and playing cards.

The blackout reminded me of how attached I have become to electronics. It was nice to take a break from it, but I would not want to do it again anytime soon. I do believe that the dependency on electricity is a bit out of hand, but I do believe that the things that it can do are extremely necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment